Friday, March 4, 2011

This week I glazed portions of my bedpan and loaded it into an electric kiln with low-fire glazes, underglazes, and high-fire glazes.  Yesterday that kiln was ready to be unloaded.  Last night I sprayed it with Steven Hill clear and wiped it off the highest areas of the buttons.  I put it back in the kiln room.   I'm excited to see how it turns out.  I hope it is similar to one of the pots I did last semester as far as colors go.  I tweaked a couple things to hopefully make it better.  I also glazed some of my mugs. 

 This is my pitcher and basin I finished this week.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  I am a little on the fence as to whether the buttons on the pitcher feel right just yet.  I might need to add more.  I can't decide if I want to glaze it like my bedpan or go for just white on this piece.  White feels right for it, but also white would have been appropriate for the bedpan and I chose colors for it.  I don't know.  I was considering doing white cone 6 and clear to give it a sheen.  Or I could do the same technique with it as the bed pan so it will match.  I did opt not to do the prints on this piece.  I am ready to try some new techniques of printing on ceramics.  I got my book and have researched a few techniques.  I need to go to the store and get some foam and glycerin.  Also, I need photo emulsion (for this and printmaking).  I just haven't had time to go shopping.  I wasted so much time last week searching for crackle spray paint for my print.  Which I never found. 

It seems that our blow-out kiln was a failure.  That is so disappointing.  I was really excited to see how it turned out.  I really hope we can try to fire some of my teddy bears again.

 Here are some of the lidded vessels I have been working on.  I am not too proud of them.  I don't know what it is, but lidded vessels just are not clicking in my brain.  I feel like I did a really nice job on my bowls, but now I have taken a step backwards.  The vessels themselves even are just mediocre.  I can make a lid, but then it is so hard for me to make the right container to go with it.  And I feel like I totally mess them up when I handle them to make sure they fit properly... and also when using a chuck to trim.  I guess I have not mastered that yet.  I still need to trim several of these forms.  I'm hoping once I trim and clean them up I will like them better.  Part of my problem might be that I want to throw bigger.  I am still throwing these little vessels, and I am just not impressed by them.  Every time I attempt to throw bigger it collapses.  I am getting frustrated (and overwhelmed with everything) and it is affecting my work.   

No comments:

Post a Comment