Friday, January 28, 2011

I met all the goals I set forth for myself last weekend.  Here is an image of my finished monotype I did for printmaking.  All in all, I put about 40 hours of work into it.  I am very pleased with the results.
 
On Monday I made a mold of some more buttons I have been collecting.  I was worried the plaster set too much before it was poured, but it seems to be alright.  On Wednesday Kristy brought me a huge bag of awesome buttons! I am so excited.  There are more button molds to be made.  So exciting.  I want to find a creepy doll face to make a mold of to put on my vessels with my buttons.  And maybe old, ornate keys.
I put a few of my thrown pots in the kiln.  I'm looking forward to begin glazing.
  
My bed pan came in and I began my hand-built project.  On Wednesday I began (and re-began) it four times.  I am experiencing far more anxiety over this project than anticipated.  I want to do such a good job because I do not want anyone to regret letting (and helping) me do this ceramics BFA.  Also I am very emotionally attached to this project.  I just do not like to say, "good enough."  I know exactly how I want it to look, and I will not be happy with anything less.  I think I jinxed myself!  I was so frustrated yesterday and tonight with my progress.  It seems like every time I picked up a piece of it to work it or put it together, it just completely fell apart.  I had some bad luck, and I do not know how many times I rebuilt and re-pieced it.  Not to mention, I lost my fettling knife.  I wanted to scream.  

 There is me getting mad!

 Right when I was about to leave and call it a night, the pieces started to fall together.  I am so glad I kept working at it.  It feels so good to have left it at a place that I am happy with.  It does not look exactly like the bed pan I have in my mits, but it is actually a really good representation.  I have the basic shape in a place that I am satisfied.  There is a lot of cleaning up to do, and I need to cut that extra fat rim it's got going on off the bottom.  I am nervous about picking it up to clean up the bottom.  I guess I need to do that tomorrow before I start putting on buttons.




I think I will leave buttons off the flat end as well as the urinal part so it will still be functional.  This thought made me think that I should put some screened images on those parts, as well as on the inside perhaps.  I am super excited about the buttons covering it.  I need to think about the printing some more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment