Thursday, January 13, 2011

The first week of school

I got off to a rough start on Monday while making clay, first dropping a 50 pound bag of ball clay, then breaking a stack of glass bowls.  In spite of my mishaps, Sue and I made a nice batch of Matt Long Porcelain.  It was a stressful first day, but it is interesting learning to make clay and I am looking forward to working with some porcelain this semester. 






Wednesday's class was a lot better.  I really enjoyed the video on throwing and Brian's lecture was really exciting.  It really made me want to get my hands dirty.  I was afraid I was going to have a mental block with throwing.  I threw a lot of nice pots in high school, but last semester when I got back on the wheel I failed miserably.  I was very discouraged, but last class really ramped me up for it.  The assignment of turning in 20 cylinders is pretty daunting, but I am actually pretty excited.  I need it. 

I would say I made an attempt at seven or eight cylinders during class.  The first ones were quite poor, but I progressed a little further with each try, which was encouraging.  I love the feel of the clay on my hands.  I was very happy with the last pot I threw.  It is no great work of art, but it is a nice little pot.  It is a far jump from where I was.  I am quite pleased with my progress. I am looking forward to going into the studio this weekend to throw some more. 



I also made some progress this week in regard to hammering out some concepts for my work.  That feels good.  Now I am just scared I will not be able to do as good a job as I want.  I went over to my mom's house tonight and looked through a bunch of boxes of my grandma's old stuff.  It was awesome.  I found some real gems.  I was not able to find the bed pan I was after though.  I might push that project idea back and do a different project first in order to give me more time to find it.  I am really excited about this idea, but I think I will be happier with the final product if I can get my hands on the actual inspiration.  I need to revisit it and form a new relationship with it. 


I hope to attain a similar surface to the pots I have been making, but I do not want to keep making the same pot over and over again.  I am searching my past for vessels that mean something to me or that have influenced me.  It is crazy to look back on things in my childhood that have influenced my tastes and sensibilities today.

I have collected some more buttons to make molds of.  I have some good ideas, and I'm happy with where I'm going.  I have a lot of work to do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment