Monday, September 12, 2011

Respect my conglomerate

 I have begun collecting things for my kitsch conglomerations.

When I was a child I went to church with an old woman who did ceramics.  I was quite close to her and her husband.  I still have some painted porcelain casts she gave me as a gift. She passed away a few years after I had stopped going to church.  Her husband knew I was into art, so he gave me all the unpainted bisque ware that was left in her studio.  This was at a time in my life that I was pretty unsure about what I wanted to do, and frankly didn't much care about art anymore.  So, I packed them up and stored them in my parent's basement.  I even tried to sell them at a yard sale at one point when I was 19.  A few months ago I was scouring all the stuff at my parent's house, tirelessly searching for some of my grandmother's things, such as her old bed pan.  Well, in my search I found the boxes bisque ware.  I was so excited.  There are precious little lambs, ducks, and bunnies.  They are pretty much perfect for what I am doing now.  I never would have thought I would love them so much.  This story fits in so well with what I want to do.  I am pleased that I will be able use these little relics and give them a new life.    


I fired a kiln this weekend.  



I have a few more babies to fire tomorrow.



I threw some pieces this weekend which will become my bases for my animal trees (hopefully).  I'm hoping I will be able to put the two pieces in the front right together (2nd from left will be flipped over).  The conical piece on the left will be the inside of the tree.  I am planning on attaching animals or what not to the outside of it, so that they will look like a continuous stack of figures.  I want to make some that have already bisqued pieces put together and some that I actually attach the pieces when they are wet.  I am not sure which I will like better.  I am also a little undecided on glazing.  


I also got some nice glass to play around with for adorning my chamber pot.  I made some little dichro pieces to mess with too.  We will see what works.

No comments:

Post a Comment