Monday, September 5, 2011

At it again...

Well, here we are... in for another semester of grog blogs.  I suppose blogging is good for me... it helps to align what I'm thinking about as far as my ceramics go.  In addition to showcasing what I am working on it will mirror my sketch book.  I use my sketch book to write about what I want to do rather than sketch about it. 
I have been racking my brain for the last few weeks, trying to think of a great way to conceptualize my work.  The first few days of class were good for me in that way because I thought of some things that I think will really help me out in these last two semesters I have.  I am excited about some of my ideas.
I kept going over and over again the pieces I have done in the last year and thinking about my ideas and concepts.  I asked myself what art I like and what art I want to see in a gallery, or in a text book, or from a visiting artist.  What interests me?  Maybe I should make that art.  My friend, Chris Little, the other day said, "Nothing is precious," and was talking about a piece he wanted to do about how art is not precious.  That got me thinking about how art is precious to me, and more particularly the art object, and the art objects I hold precious.  What are my relics?  Come in my house and look in my curio cabinet at my collection of animal figurines (particularly the cats).  That is what I want to look at.  That is what I want to see in an art museum.  That is what I want to make.  Cute animal figurines. 
I have been looking at Wendy Walgate for inspiration.  How amazing!! 

I decided I wanted to do this, or at least that I loved it, a while ago, but looking at this work has really given me the courage to do it.  I think I was scared I would be told it wasn't "real art."  I am really into mixed media and found object right now.  Why does ceramic art have to be all clay?  I think I was stuck behind the assumption that ceramics had to be vessels (whether functional or not), even though I was looking at other artists that made work to the contrary.  I do like ceramic vessels, one reason being to tradition, but I feel some sort of new freedom because I have decided not to make a vessel.
I started off the semester by making a list of words I want to focus on this semester.  I am really thinking about adornment and how I can fantastically adorn my work in order to achieve a more unified surface/piece.  I am thinking about lineage, unexpected beauty, relics and the stories they tell, a living standard (form and decoration), the precious, homage, intimacy, my autobiography, sentimental appeal, cute/kitsch objects, nostalgia, artifacts, display/collections, mementos, reference to lost innocence and nostalgic longing, and light-hearted and whimsical.
I have also been looking at some of the objects I have collected that I wish to reference in my work.
 
I would like to do at least 2 fruit tree-esque pieces, one with animal figurines and one with kewpie doll parts.  I am thinking about doing something with the oil lamp.  I really like the form.  Also, I am going to make a chamber pot, which I will adorn with glass pieces, I am thinking. 

I got some glass that I think I might be able to do something nice with, similarly how I used the rhinestones on one of my basin and pitchers, but I am hoping it will look more integrated.  I would love to get a luster to use on it.  I have a lot of testing and experimenting to do.  There are a few ways I can think of that might work to make my animal trees.  I need to talk to Brian about it in more depth to see what he thinks. 
I am going to use a combination of handbuilding and molds this semester.  I like to handbuild because I am able to forge an intimate relationship with the pieces, but molds allow to really get the craftsmanship and sleek look that I am drawn to.

No comments:

Post a Comment