Monday, October 31, 2011

Keep a wet wipe in case a bum try to touch me. Eww.







My spacelab show opening was Wednesday.  The opening went alright.  I just wasn't too excited about the show.  I did like it better once it was ready and I got the lights on it.  The prints looked pretty cool with the ceramics paired with them.  I got some good feedback at the opening.  Natalie and Donna seemed to really like it.  They said it worked a lot better set up like this than at the BFA crit.  And that it was nice to see together.  Adrienne was super pumped about my work, which was very exciting.  I really respect her.  She loved my animal tree and said she would like to attain one.  I guess I have arrived.
The class crit on Thursday was quite a shock.  I was kind of blind-sided.  I do really appreciate the suggestions I get from Brian.  I really respect him as a thinker and an artist.  He has made my work grow so much since I have been working under him.  I do think that IUS needs to get a class on proper etiquette for critiques.  It was my understanding that critiques are to talk about the work in a constructive way in order to help the artist grow and improve their work.  I did not know it was appropriate to personally criticize a person.  I am seriously sick of some of the snooty attitudes in the ceramics department that act like there is some sort of competition going on.  We all pay tuition to be here and we all have the same rights to the studio, materials, and so on.  Brian has the attitude and philosophy that ceramics is a community and that we should all work together to grow as artists.  I really wish it was like that.  I am appalled by some of the things that are said and attitudes that are expressed at critiques (BFA, classroom, and senior seminar alike).  We are adults and this is college.  This problem should have been resolved a long time ago... and never should have happened.  I know I am griping again, but I was seriously shocked by the audacity of some of the things said at this last crit.  Criticisms regarding my work are of course expected, and I would hope that any one of my classmates who critiques me would want to help me as an artist.  That is certainly the attitude I have when I participate in the critiques of others.  I would never dream of making attacks or "critiquing" someone's life.... if that was what was being attempted?  I am so confused by what was said.  Not only was it false, but it was out of line.  I would love to listen to helpful crits and tips from people I respect as artists and thinkers, but some of the bullshit I hear is outrageous.  I can not believe that some things are allowed to be said, and it is allowed to continue.  I was under the impression that the spacelab was a fun place to experiment with ideas, which was what I was doing.  I have my idea of what I think is "good art" and what I do not think is "good art," as I'm sure everyone does.  But just because someone might not like, or even agree, with the type of art I make does not mean I should come personally under attack. But, what am I even talking about?  I haven't made anything in the last 6 months.  Unbelievable.  But, this does go way deeper than that.  There was a lot of psychology going on.  Snake in the grass. 
I guess it is going to be personal and cut throat from now on? There is definitely something in the air... and it stinks.

 I made some more animals for my gold tree.  It's going to be tight.  I have a kiln reserved for this week.  I can't decide if I want to fire another tree or play around with some of the new toys I got.

I bought this new curio cabinet for my show.  It is nice, and such a good deal!!  I found some new critters that make nice additions to my collection.  I am really thinking about the comment from Brian about thinking of myself as a sculptor for a while.  It is a very interesting idea.  I need to roll around with that for a while.  Perhaps another conversation with Mr. Harper would be helpful.  I am going to fire some of the new figurines with luster... like the creepy crawling babies dress, and the duck and bunny in the bottom picture.  They spoke to me and said they wanted to be gold.  It is going to be fun putting this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment