Monday, October 24, 2011

Here we are.

     I played around with some lusters last week.  Actually, I fired the kiln to 018 three times, trying to get it right.  The babes went through all tree firings.  So, I know it is not detrimental to refire luster, and it is definitely helpful to apply a 20 minute hold to the firing process.  I have watched Ashley apply luster, so I was a little familiar with gold application.  I did, however, have some unattractive brush strokes in thin areas.  I applied a super thin coat over these areas and refired (with the hold).  After the gold babe came out of the kiln the second time it was much improved.  There were minimal visible brush strokes.  But, I was going for perfection, and repeated the steps.  I should have left it the way it was, but I had to try.  After it came out of the third firing, some more of the brush strokes were visible and some areas are a little tarnished looking.  It's not bad, but not perfect.  I just had to do it, though.  If not, I would have wondered.
      The owl was fired once.  I used the same gold luster on a few areas (above the beak, on the talons, and the stripe on the base) but most of the work on this piece was done using a gold luster pen.  I am very pleased with these results.  I did some patterning on the body of the owl.  The pen gives a nice application and I can get little details.  There are little to no flaws in the gold using the pen.  It is a nice way to add embellishments.  I am excited with the results.  It really adds that something that this owl needed to satisfy me.  I can really see myself pushing this technique.

     I also played around with pink luster.  I am underwhelmed with these results.  I do like the color, but it is not what I was hoping for as a luster.  The baby went through all three firings.  It showed brush marks very bad.  I think the main problem was that I was applying it like a gold.  It obviously needs to be much thicker.  It looked much nicer after the third fire, but it is still not quite what I expected or wanted.  It does make a nice overglaze for putting over colors.  I put it on a few areas of the african lady.  It adds a nice surface to those areas.  It is on her eyelids, hair, lips, and nipples.  It adds a shiny pink quality to the color that was already there, which I like.  Again, not what I expected in a "luster" but I think I can work with it to get some colors I am excited about.  It might be nice to glaze the babes with either a glaze or underglaze with the shiny clear coat, then put the color luster overglaze on top to get a nice color.  Also, it seems that putting it over glaze greatly minimizes the brush marks, which was a problem on the pink babe.
    Now, I am trying to decide if I want to go ahead and order the other colors I have in my basket.  I am fairly certain I will get the mother of pearl.  I like the effect Ashley got on her skull.  It would probably be nice over colored glaze or underglaze as well.  I am considering the turquoise and purple color lusters.  These two are from a different website, and a different brand, so they may be completely different.  It would be nice if they are more of what I think of as "luster."  I know I will need more gold.  I am planning on doing an animal tree completely in gold.  That will be nice.  I also need to consider purchasing a refillable gold luster pen for detail work.  I am just concerned it might not have as good an application as the felt tip pen.  It was really nice to draw with.  I seriously have my doubts about how long the felt tipped pen will last though.  It does not appear to have much luster in it.



My BFA crit was Tuesday.  I have included a photo of my spread.  A big portion (and energy) of my week was spent in preparation of the critique.  I really value so much of the feedback I got.  The new professors, in particular Emily and Natalie, had some great comments.  I am very pleased with the constructive tips/positive response I got from mostly all of the professors. It is really refreshing to hear professors speak well of my work and show me that they really like it.  Emily and Deb (as well as some others) came up to me after the crit to tell me how impressed they were and that they really enjoy my work.  That was an awesome feeling.  Countless others approached me to tell me how well I handled myself in the face of blatantly biased, hateful bashes from a bully.  Ashley and I both got this unwarranted treatment unjustly (as always).  Seriously, I would love to listen to constructive criticisms, but if personal feelings can't be left at the door and hate is going to come spewing out of one's mouth, it is just a waste of everyone's time. And one makes oneself look like an ass.  In front of everyone.  I thought it was kind of funny.  Haters, they gonn' hate.  Overall, it was a smashing success.

No comments:

Post a Comment